The Curious Case of Benjamin Button stars Brad Pitt as the main character, Mr. Benjamin himself. It follows Benjamin, who by the way, is never called Ben throughout the movie shockingly enough, as he grows up or down depending on how you look at it. When Benjamin was born, he was extremely old, even being diagnosed with cataract and arthritis. As he grows older, he begins to de-age. Basically living his life in reverse.
The movie bounces back and forth between Benjamin's life and a woman reading out of his diary to her mother. The transition between the two was done well as the narrators voice changed perfectly from the woman's to his.
One problem I had with the movie was the length. The run time is about 2 hr. and 48 min. Which is extremely excessive as there is about an hour of footage that could be cut out. For example, at the beginning of the film there is a story told about a man who builds a clock that works in reverse. This is only spoke of once more in the movie with about 10 min left in the film. Then there are also many scenes that could be cut as they have no relevance to Benjamin's life.
One of the few things that kept my attention at the beginning of the movie was the man telling us about the 7 times he had been struck by lightning. (quoted at the top) I waited and waited for him to tell Benjamin of the 7 times he had been struck, but only revealed 6 before he died. It wasn't until the end of the film that we finally learn of the 7th strike.
I was slightly disappointed with how slowly the film moved along. This was the first time in many years that I actually fell asleep at the movie theater. Mind you, it was for only small amounts of time, and I didn't miss anything major. But the fact that it was able to put me to sleep still bothered me.
I am happy at the fact of seeing the movie and learning the tale of Benjamin Button, but if I were asked to see it again I would politely decline, unless I was hoping for another nap.




No comments:
Post a Comment