Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Mamma Mia! The musical....

"Mamma mia, does it show again...My, my, just how much I've missed you?"

Last night I used the tickets I had been given for Mamma Mia! and took Kaitie with me to go see it.
When we got our tickets I couldn't believe where we were sitting. We were sitting in the middle section, 8th row from the stage.
The musical, as with basically anything now a days, was 10x better than the movie. However, the movie is a good substitute when wanting to dance around and see people in platform boots and spandex.
Like the movie there are random towns people, like I had commented on in the earlier post. However, in the play they are only called attention upon when necessary, and even sometimes when you are supposed to look at them, your so caught up looking at the main cast you forget that they aren't the ones singing.
A few differences between the movie and the musical are that in the movie Bill Austin is Bill Anderson. Also the soundtrack for the musical is more extensive including: I Have a Dream, Honey, Honey, Money, Money, Money, Thank You for the Music, Mamma Mia, Chiquitita, Dancing Queen, Lay All Your Love on Me, Super Trouper, Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! (A Man After Midnight), The Name of the Game, Voulez-Vous, Under Attack, One of Us, S.O.S., Does Your Mother Know, Knowing Me, Knowing You, Our Last Summer, Slipping Through My Fingers, The Winner Takes It All, Take a Chance on Me, I Do, I Do, I Do, I Do, I Do, I Have a Dream (italicized songs are not in the movie) I figure the reason Knowing Me, Knowing You was cut from the movie is because its a solo sung by Sam Carmichael and in the movie he is portrayed by Pierce Brosnan, who is not as good a singer as he is James Bond. The Name of the Game is on the DVD for the movie as a deleted scene, so it was more than likely cut due to lack of time. In the movie Our Last Summer is sung by all three possible fathers with Sophie on a boat, while in the musical its between Donna and Harry in her room before the wedding. In the musical Take a Chance on Me is sung in a church with no other witnesses around, while in the movie the whole cast gets to witness Rosie chasing Bill around the hotel.
While both performances are great, I would suggest seeing the live musical. I realized last night as I was driving home that the first show I ever saw on the Strip was Mamma Mia! and after almost 4 years I was able to return to see it, and it will probably be the last show I see on the Strip for a long time.

Here is a clip of Under Attack, one of the scenes left out of the movie, yet amazing in its self

Embedded Video


No comments: