Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Photos at Lone Mtn.

Today Kaitie and I drove out to Lone Mountain that way she could help me with my most recent photography assignment: Natural Lighting Portraiture.
In traditional Ka(i)tie manner, we were totally out of it. When we first got there we decided that the best background for the photos would be on the actual mountain so we began walking across the park to get to the trails. Once we got to them we realized a.) vans are not the best shoes to go hiking in and b.) we were out of shape. It also might not have helped that we were carrying gym bags with us.
Once we got up to the caves which Kaitie was the most excited to take photos near, we threw down our bags and got started.
Lone Mountain provided the perfect natural background I had been looking for and didn't think I was going to be able to find. There were small caves, which sometimes I was wary to send Kaitie into, graffitied rock (which disappointed me but I still used), and beautiful coloring in the rocks.
While we were up there Kaitie had to change from one outfit to another so I stood in front of her as she changed out of blue jeans into a dress. Then we decided to climb a little higher on the mountain so while I had my camera around my neck and Kaitie in a dress, we started up a steep trail that come to think of it was probably more of a wash from water running down the mountain.
After spending time up at the second spot I fulfilled my deal to Kaitie, which was shed get to use the "pretty, expensive camera!" So we quickly traded clothes so I could be in the dress and she snapped a few shots.
As we started back down the mountain, this time her with the camera and me in the dress we noticed a few more people heading up the mountain. Now this slightly bothered us because not only had we left our bags down there figuring that there would be no one coming up the trail and because we were hoping to be able to trade back clothes. Instead I had to grab a random pair of Kaitie's jeans and slide them on under the dress then throw a t-shirt over it and slide the dress off.
As we headed down the mountain we realized that we were taking the steeper more complicated trail and to my amusement Kaitie yelled out "we always do things the hard way, don't we!"
The whole adventure took two hours but was worth the time spent with my best friend. And of course for the photos that will get me the grade.

No comments: